This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.


claims banner

Injury reporting FAQs

Injury reporting basics

Who is required to report injuries to WorkSafeBC?

If a worker is injured on the job, the worker, employer, and the worker's treating physician must report the injury to WorkSafeBC.

What happens after an injury is reported?

WorkSafeBC will adjudicate the claim based on information from the employer, the injured worker, and the treating physician. WorkSafeBC may also investigate the incident to determine the causes and underlying factors.

Injury reporting for employers

What are my responsibilities when a worker is injured?

If a worker is injured on the job, as the employer, your responsibilities include:

  • Transporting the injured worker to the nearest location where medical treatment can be obtained. You are also responsible for paying for transportation.
  • Reporting the injury to WorkSafeBC within three business days of the injury's occurrence or within three business days of you or your representative becoming aware of the injury. If the worker was referred to and received treatment at a clinic or hospital, you must submit an Injury Report online or complete and send the Employer's Report of Injury or Occupational Disease (Form 7) (PDF 81kb) to WorkSafeBC.
  • If the worker received first aid on site, the first aid attendant must complete a first aid record. This must be retained at the work site for a minimum of three years.
  • Immediately reporting fatalities and serious injuries to our Prevention Emergency Line at 604.276.3301 in the Lower Mainland or toll-free 1.888.621.7233. After the incident, you also have an obligation to conduct preliminary and full incident investigations.

What type of injuries do I need to report?

A reportable injury is an injury arising out of and in the course of employment, or which is claimed by the worker to have arisen out of and in the course of employment, where one of the following conditions is present or subsequently occurs:

  • The worker loses consciousness following the injury.
  • The worker is transported or directed by a first aid attendant or other employer representative to a hospital or other place of medical treatment, or is recommended by such persons to go to such place.
  • The injury is one that obviously requires medical treatment.
  • The worker has received medical treatment for the injury.
  • The worker is unable or claims to be unable by reason of the injury to return to his or her usual job function on any working day subsequent to the day of injury.
  • The injury or accident resulted or is claimed to have resulted in the breakage of an artificial member, eyeglasses, dentures or a hearing aid.
  • The worker or WorkSafeBC has requested that an employer's report be sent.

Where none of the conditions listed above are present, an injury is a minor injury and not required to be reported to WorkSafeBC unless one of those conditions subsequently occurs.

What type of incidents do I need to report?

Whether or not an injury occurs, you must immediately call WorkSafeBC’s emergency and accident reporting phone line if any of the following occurs:

  • Serious injury to or death of a worker
  • Major structural failure or collapse of a building, bridge, tower, crane, hoist, temporary construction support system, or excavation
  • Major release of a hazardous substance
  • Blasting incident causing personal injury
  • Dangerous incident involving explosives (whether or not there is personal injury)
  • Diving incident, as defined by regulation (s. 24.34)

As an employer, you also have an obligation to investigate any of the above incidents. See Employer Investigations FAQs for more details.

Injury reporting for workers

What do I do if I'm injured at work?

After an injury you must:

  • Report your injury to your employer as soon as possible.
  • Seek medical attention for your injury. If you need an ambulance or transportation from your workplace to your doctor's office or the hospital, your employer is required to pay those costs. Be sure to tell your doctor that your injury is work related.
  • Report your injury to WorkSafeBC as soon as possible. If you miss work as a result of your injury, please call our Teleclaim Contact Centre. If a WorkSafeBC staff member asks you to complete a Worker's injury report or an Application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease (Form 6) at any time it is important that you do so and submit it as soon as possible.

What do I do if I think I have a work-related disease or illness?

Report work-related diseases as soon as you notice the symptoms. Even if you're not working or you've changed jobs when you realize you have a work-related disease, contact WorkSafeBC right away.

Can my employer prevent me from reporting an injury?

It is against the law for an employer to persuade or attempt to persuade a worker not to report an injury, disease, death, or hazardous condition to WorkSafeBC.

Am I eligible for compensation?

To be eligible for compensation from WorkSafeBC, you must have sustained a personal injury or occupational disease that arose out of and in the course of your employment.

  • For an injury, this generally means that the worker must have been working when hurt, and that the job had some causative significance to the injury.
  • For an occupational disease, this means that the disease contracted must be caused by the work or the work environment.

What happens if I'm injured while working outside of B.C.?

If you are working outside of British Columbia and you normally live and work in B.C. and your employer is based in B.C., you will usually be covered by WorkSafeBC.

If you're not covered by WorkSafeBC, contact the workers' compensation board of the province in which you were injured. In some cases, you may be eligible for workers' compensation in B.C. and another province. In that case you have three months from the date of your injury to decide which board you intend to claim compensation from.

What happens if I move to another province while I'm still receiving payment from WorkSafeBC?

Let the WorkSafeBC staff member handling your case know, and provide your new address and phone number. Your benefits will not change unless the move delays your recovery and return to work. Note that WorkSafeBC will only pay health care costs up to the amount allowed in British Columbia.

More FAQs